Monday, June 3, 2013

30 Best Poems


1. First poem—1998

All alone

On my own

In a crowd of people

 

All pass by

Don’t see that I

Am so depressed

 

No one cares

No one shares
In a crowd of people

 

I cry

Not knowing why

No one has hurt me

 

But can’t they see

That I’m not me

In a crowd of people?

 

Won’t they stop

Before I drop

Listen and ask why

 

Why can’t I

Just explain the way

I feel

 

It is stuck inside

And like the tide

Will it come out

 

Someday

Someway

In a crowd of people?

 

If I  tried

Could I be satisfied

In a crowd of people?

 

God I know You’re there

Why can’t I

Remember?

 

I know You’re near

Ready to hear

In a crowd of people

 

When I’m down

I’ll turn to you

You’re my crowd of people

 

2. Silence

As I struggle to put

Thoughts to words

And words to paper

 

To explain how much

I want to help

How much I care

 

I see the problem

I know the answer

But I am scared and afraid

Will you listen?

 

I stare out into space

My own problems

Rushing in my face

Who am I

To tell you anything?

 

Is it my place to say something

Or keep silent

Will you see the hypocrite in me

And reject any truth I might have?

 

Lord, teach when to speak

Teach me how to talk

Let each word be formed by Your will

Help me see

When they are ready

 

Give me the strength to stand alone

The grace to walk forward

The mercy not to trip

And the boldness to

Hold my head up

 

3. Digging

Dig a little deeper

For me

I am lost and alone

Keep searching for me

 

I am under the bush

Pushed in the corner

Kicked casually away

By another

 

I tried yelling out

Lost my voice

Along with my hope

 

Here I stay

Until found

Dig a little deeper

For me

 

Please do not give up

I am right beyond

Your reach

Waiting for you

 

To dig a little deeper

Take a bit more time

Keep holding on

I am coming

 

4. Beloved

Your wounds

Are mine

To earn

Your stripes

Are mine

To gain

 

Your way

Is mine

To learn

 

Your words

Mine to make

Plain

 

Precious in

Possession

 

I am Yours

And You

Are mine

 

5. Problems

I want to close my eyes

And make all the problems go away

I want to tell everyone

That now is just not the time

I am too full of issues to deal with more

Wait in line

And take a number

 

They are hurting

Smiling while draining

Laughing while dying

I have my own problems

And feel bad to notice them

With so much more around

 

6. Agitator

Music calls out

Feelings I cannot

Express

Stirs them

Agitates them

And then leaves me

In silence

To deal with them

Alone

 

7. Motorcycles

Riding a moto

Vibrating

Across the cobblestones

Windy black night

Punctured

With white stars

 

Holding a shoulder

Warm

With security

Dangling a foot

Loose

With abandon

 

Slowing for lombadas

Sporadically

Placed

Watching him pass

Contemplating

Mysteries

 

Racing to a place

Filled

With belonging

 

8. 2nd place

The rain darkening my shirt

The soft petals drifting down

I am silent

But grass is moving around

The people passing

Do not see me

Please press against me

To see if I am real

 

They don’t even know

That I have no place to go

I am lost

With fear hiding in

My placid face

 

They don’t even know

That I have no place to go

Home is far

And rest is lying

Farther still

 

9. Daily

When I say

“I love you”

It means that is

Never going to change

 

I am never giving up

I will never leave

I will never replace you

 

When I say

“You are enough”

It means I accept you

As you are

That you please me and

Thrill my heart

Even with seeing all

Your faults

 

I will cheer

Every victory you have

But they will not earn

My love

You already have it

 

When I say

“You are beautiful”

It means there is

Something I see when I look at you

That delights me in a way

No one else can

 

I don’t want to look away

I don’t compare you to anyone else

I don’t want you to

Change a thing

 

When I say

“I forgive you”

It means I’ve taken the pain

You caused

And paid the price

Of your choices

 

You are free

With the power to forgive

Yourself and others

I won’t use your past against you

To shame you into doing right

 

When I say

“I am proud of you”

It means I boast about you

To others

Because you make me smile

 

I know you are going

To do something amazing

Each day you open

Your eyes

 

When I say

“I believe in you”

It means that even if

It looks like you’ve fallen and

Won’t get up

I look at you and see

A miracle of what will be

I connect my name with yours

And you represent me to others

 

When I say

“I have a plan for you”

It means I not only took time

To know you

Completely

But I found the thing that will

Complete you

More than any other

And planned it for you

 

I tell you these words

Because I mean them

 

10. Control

I like things open

Where I can feel it

As I live it

 

I like pickup trucks

Being one with the journey

Brick roads

Feeling every break and beginning

Oceans

Uncontrollable

Dirt

Where it is undiluted yet

Windows

Letting in sunlight and rain

 

I don’t like

Air conditioning

Caged in and everyone else locked out

Umbrellas

Trying to hide from what comes down

Headphones

Ending coversations before they start

Cell phones

Interrupting

As civilization congratulates itself

On forgetting how to enjoy

What cannot be controlled

 

11. Stranded

The warm shallow water

Where we sit and stare

At the bits of sand

That used to be proud rocks

And say the things

Buried in the corners of our hearts

Finding the shells

Half hidden and caught

In the brilliance of the sun

Holding our missing selves

In our fingers loosely

 

12. A Slice of Space

To wedge my frame in

Leaving a wake

On the dusty road

Stepping over shoes that

Pinch their toes

Knees knocking

A friendly excuse

Butt cheeks balanced

By the bodies of others

Lurching Kombi

Turns my stomach

Learning forward

I rest my elbows

Wind from cracked window

Blows through the hair

Of the wrinkled lady

And the wicked grin

Of the boy next to me

My nose stings

From the dark perspiration

On dingy clothes

 

Sometimes it is good to know

You are human

Surrounded by living beings

Butt cheeks balanced

By the bodies of others

 

13. Details

Where have you been?

Open your eyes

The sun is going down

And you never saw it rise

 

Open to the pain

Let it cut you deep

Knowing what you missed

While you were asleep

 

I need you now

I needed you then

Rise to the challenge

Let the day begin

 

Step into the role

Empty until you arrive

The world awaits

The glory of man alive

 

14. Box

Bombarded by brilliance

Take it in slowly

Dazed and daunted

No longer thinking

I have anything worthwhile

To offer

 

Wish wish wish

For one little spot

A corner of creativity

But I can’t invent the wheel

 

Where is the box?

I want to smash it

But I can’t find it

I hid it in my subconscious

The day I was scared

 

15. Balloon

You say

So many pretty things

But I

Have forgotten how to believe them

 

Imagining

You coming after me

Shaking me

Telling me

It was only me

But you never show

 

No one gets what we were

Or are

And now

I have forgotten as well

 

I don’t know how

To believe you anymore

I used to be so secure

In your love

 

Now I fill a balloon

With your name on it

And really

Let

Go

No comments:

Post a Comment