Monday, June 3, 2013

30 Best poems, pt.2


16. Open

The doorway opens again

The writing on my hand is faded

The wind blows only in rotation

 

The melody pushes me farther

But the voices inhibit

I return to solid ground

Damn

 

I will not wait for permission

I force my foot in the door

I will not be her anymore

 

No looking back, pillar of salt

If I shut the door quietly

Can we pretend to begin again?

 

Don’t trust me, I have yet to trust myself

Both of us are too heavy to carry

I cannot win walking backward

 

But look into my eyes tonight

For the door is open and I want to go

Just one more straw to tip

 

17. No Helmet

He always makes me wear one. It boxes my head in

Separated from the beauty and life around me

My head bobbles

The strap cuts my chin

Knocking against the corners of my head

That do not fit the contours

 

Open the flap, let in some breeze

The sweat has gathered

Snap it shut again

When the dust is stirred

On the highway

It gives the illusion of protection

Even though I know one slip from the driver and I am dead

I imagine my leg in a tree

Like he said he saw after an accident

 

But on the back roads

When there is no helmet to be had

Freedom

I play the cowgirl as I swing my leg over the seat

The engine roars before I have a firm grasp on his shoulder

I love the sound of wind

Brushing past my ears

Flying through nature

The green that only tropics have

The blue that belongs to Brazil

The 4:30pm sun that doesn't burn

Leaves a haze over the sugarcane fields

 

The stones make my teeth chatter

The view makes my heart hurt

"I'm the lucky one"

I whisper to myself

And hope the feeling will never grow old

I turn my head and squeeze my eyes

To hide from the dust blowing

The red dirt paints my skin

My foot black dirt where my sandal was

My nose burnt with SPF 30

 

I wish I could put it on paper

The way it really is

Instead of random lines of words

That I tie together into a sentence

 

18. Harder

Why do I feel

Like something beautiful

In my life died

 

Why does it make

Getting up in the morning

Harder

 

Can continuing to love

Be as beautiful as

The love itself?

 

Is it an opportunity

To dance in the moonlight

Is it a beautiful thing

To live life with You

 

When did I stop

Looking at the stars

When did the beauty

Make my face turn away

 

When did the rain

Feel like balm to my soul

Expressing emotions

That I refuse to let loose

 

Continuing to love

Is as beautiful as

The love itself

 

It is an opportunity

To dance in the moonlight

It is a beautiful thing

To live life with You

 

19. Lost Notebook

A blank page

Like a starless sky

Waiting for light

To streak across it

 

A full heart

Like a river

Rising with

The spring rain

 

A quiet moment

Like the sunrise

After the thunderstorm

Late in the night

 

A question

Like a single note

That crescendos

Until it occupies

all my senses

 

20 Haiku

Surprisingly clear

past love, doubt, hate, fear and lies

I know I am right

 

21. Doors

As I watch

My image

Crumble before

My eyes

 

Sometimes bit by bit

Sometimes wall by wall

They fall

 

The restlessness

Inside me grows

To build a new place

To build a new me

 

Faced with a challenge

I cannot ignore

Looking down both paths

And wondering which door

 

Break me again

I’ve forgotten already

Now that I know

What I am in for

 

You have taken

Away the darkness

And now it’s deathly bright

No place to get away

 

Waiting to grasp one thread

When it breaks

I’ll go

Tomorrow

Is not good enough

 

Faced with a challenge

I cannot ignore

Looking down both paths

And wondering which door

 

22. Not Good Enough

A house without windows

A hope without love

A girl without a mother

Forgotten

 

How can it be

In our world of pretty lights

That one should be missing

And no one notice

 

I can’t take it

I don’t want to handle it

I will scream if one more person

Tries to hide it under a rug

 

Cry

Drop tears

Let your nose run

But do not ignore it

 

Life is hard

Life is unfair

Some things will never

Be able to reconcile

 

Do not let this be

The only heaven

You will have

 

Because for some

This is the best

It is going to get

 

It is not good enough

For me

 

23. Maybe

Maybe it is not

Where I get

But how I get there

 

Maybe it is not

The point I have

But how I say it

 

Maybe It is not

What happens to me

But what I do about it

 

Maybe I make choices

Not on how it affects me

But how it affects others

 

Maybe I resist temptation

Not for my success

But to make a path for those following

 

Maybe I push a little harder

Not to win

But to lead

 

Maybe I keep my mouth closed

Not to abstain

But to preserve

 

Maybe I laugh louder and cry harder

Not to get it out

But to keep it going

 

Maybe I live

Not just because I have the chance

But to give a chance to others

 

Maybe the choice

Is no longer mine

 

24. Advice

Love me first

Love me consistently

Come into my life

Slowly

 

Don’t try to rush me

I am not listening

Even if it is the right thing

To say

 

Don’t stop

Just slow down

I am sorry

I am giving you a hard time

 

There is much

That was lost

 

Inside I am

Rooting for you

Hoping you’ll keep going

Wishing it will never end

 

But outside

I cannot voice it

Because I have been

Too hurt by the past

 

I don’t want it

To be easy for you

I am not ready

To give you free reign

 

I want you to understand

The value of what you threw away

But don’t let that discourage you

Please keep going

 

25. Remember

Draw me in from the rain

I am shaking with fear

Pull me close to your heart

Let me feel the beat

 

Wrap me in warm clothes

As your fingers trace my tears

I want to remember you

I want to remember truth

 

You are God

You are good

And when things change

You never do

 

You are love

You are pure

You have never left

You never will

 

Pain loosens my memory

Struggles turn my thoughts

To me

 

So in Your mercy

Come once more

In Your grace

Call to me

 

Woo me after I’ve turned

To other lovers

Don’t scold me for

My glaring inadequacy

 

Only love me

Because

You can do no less

 

Only love me

Because

It is who You are

And I remember You

 

26. Listen

Speak less harshly

You have so much more to learn

Be quicker to listen

There is so much more to hear

Your world is so small

And what you understand

Is even smaller

 

Give the benefit of the doubt

And maybe

There is more to the story

There is someone hurting

There is a need

That only you can meet

 

And only if you

Shut up and listen

 

27. Tinkerbell

 

The little girl that dances in the breeze

The little girl that wants to climb in trees

Little one that looks around with delight

Little one you must protect from her fright

 

She is so small

But she knows so much

Sitting there waiting

For one magic touch

To open the doors

And let her in

To where her life

Will magically begin

 

28. Fear

I know my greatest fear

For it eats me alive

It is the fear

Of hurting those I love

 

I know my second greatest fear

For it strikes when I cannot prepare

It is the fear

Of watching those I love get hurt

And not being able to help

 

It is a fearful thing to love

 

29. Better

You are out there

In the darkness

Where I want to be alone

Together

 

I feel you there

In front of my fingers

The you I want

In stillness

In silence

 

The you I know I

Can’t have

The beautiful longing

It creates

 

It hangs in brilliance

By a thread of hope

That refuses to die

 

Telling me that dreams

Are better than

Half-lived realities

 

30. True Love

I found myself

Yelling at you

Burning inside

Because I am tied

And helpless to do

Anything about it

 

I guess that is what

True love is

 

Looking at the real you

Full in the face

Without hiding anything

Without anything beautiful

 

And finding that

I love you even more

  

Overwhelmed at the complexity

Of life

And knowing the road is full

Of pain

Of being hurt and hurting back

You step back and wonder

If it is all even worth it

  

I guess that is what

True love is

 

All illusions gone

And being flooded with

The knowledge that

No matter what the cost

No matter what the pain

There is nothing else I want

 

And finding that

I love you even more

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment