Friday, May 20, 2016

John's Last Post

**John is currently in Rio de Janeiro, waiting for the plane to take him to Miami and then Indianapolis by lunchtime tomorrow. His mom will breathe again then.**

"Looking back now, it’s hard to believe that I left Indiana two months ago, and at the same time it feels like it has been an eternity. I left home scared of what I was about to do: two months in a county where I can’t even ask where the bathroom is, and people don't understand me very well. It had been over a year since the last time I went to Brazil, so it was pretty much like going for the first time. It would have been hard for me then (when I first arrived) to believe that I would not only adjust but actually really enjoy my time here.

That is not to say that my time here has not been without its downs. In fact I would say that this has been rather hard, but enjoyable all the same. I guess change really is a pain mentally, spiritually and oh so much physically (it really is a pain). Reason number two for it being hard: I come here and then I find out, “Oh, you have to be ready to get a job, your driver’s license, pre-college classes and save up for a car/collage when you get back.”
To say it was a rude awakening would be a huge understatement. But thankfully, I had people to help me with my panic attack (turns out that my panic attacks involve uncontrollable laughing), and now I can honestly say that I feel ready. I can hardly wait to see everyone back home, John out."
** Caid and I are sad to see John go. It was really great to have him as a part of our family for nine weeks (although feeding and washing clothes for a teenager wasn't as fun). It was completely different family dynamics, and we had our challenges, but John made good choices, served well, and finished strong. I couldn't have asked for more. And I am soooo going to miss him washing the dishes for me! Last night the Soares family had a going away party for him: awesome way to end an awesome time!
John did a wonderful job serving with  Living Stones. He went to Cajueiro Claro twice each week and played soccer while Caid coached. He went to Guadalajara twice a week and played basketball while Caid coached and I tutored. He went to MMA and voice lessons weekly with Caid. He helped teach English at Lagoa Living Stones twice a week, and he still got his government homework done:). 
One of my favorite moments was this:
Cesar remembered John from 2014 and wanted to see him before he left: so we went for Cesar's birthday on May 17th. I was prepping John before we went, saying, "This guy remembers you. Think of things to say in Portuguese because it means a lot to him." John replied, "Before if you would tell me something like that I would get so nervous that I would be grumpy or try to get out of going all together so I wouldn't disappoint him. But now I realize that this is an opportunity, and to use my nervousness to make sure to make the time special for Cesar." YESSSSSSS. Love you John! 





No comments:

Post a Comment