Monday, February 20, 2017

The Perfect Gift for Missionary Women

I have a wonderful support system as a missionary. I have people who ask me what I need and how they can help; but I often struggle with an answer.  It has taken awhile, but I have figured out the perfect gift for missionary women (and probably any woman in ministry).

After being a single missionary for a couple of years, I spoke at a church and afterwards, an acquaintance came up to me and asked me if she could take me shopping. We went to the mall and she had me go into multiple stores and pick out multiple pieces of clothing. It was incredible. I was so grateful to her! It was also humbling. And though we lost contact, this woman meant so much to me, giving her time and money to help me feel pretty and special.

My home church has this wonderful tradition: every early December they have a Christmas mission’s tea and bazaar. Us women worship together, hear and pray for our missionaries, and then buy all kinds of things made and donated by us. Pinterest on parade. All the proceeds are divided up and given as a Christmas gifts to the missionary women, who are told they MUST use it on themselves, rather than ministry.

My husband’s sisters were unsure about what to get me for Christmas, and when asked, I simply said “Underwear.” As a missionary, underclothes get used through quickly, and are often hard to find in our host country. This is something that once a year or so, I really need, and feel uncomfortable telling most people.

You may not have time to take your women missionaries shopping. You may want to get something more personal than money, but less personal than underwear. May I suggest a Victoria Secret gift card?

A Case for Victoria Secret Gift Cards for Missionary Women
1. Missionary women need underwear. Underwear is at the bottom of the list after husband, kids, ministry, and oh so many needs around you.
2. Victoria Secret underwear is really nice. I’ve shopped around, and prefer the feel, look, and how long it lasts. It is good to bless our missionaries with nice things, not leftovers.
3. Sexy with your husband is not bad. In fact, it is good. I think it is a good thing to be supporting and encouraging the intimacy of our missionary couples.
4. Sexy in the bedroom turns into (with the right focus) femininity in public. It is hard to feel feminine with old, ripped, granny panties. Just saying.
5. It makes sure your missionary woman takes time for herself, and letting her know you see HER. As a person. As a woman. It is really hard to buy anything for ministry at Victoria Secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment