Thursday, March 24, 2016

Missing Mussurepe

This little town is just far enough off the grid that I almost put it into fairy tale status. When we drive there I take a breath of fresh air. When we have woman's prayer meeting grandma Isabel transforms into Deborah, who "arose up a mother in Israel." (Judges 5:7)

I told Caid that if he dies I want to move to Mussurepe for awhile - just to be away and find myself through the sorrow. Mussurepe is all my Anne of Green Gables and Little Women books combined. My friend said I described it as a forgotten city.
*
A friend in the ministry was talking with his wife and she asked if they could live good, fulfilling lives if they were just "normal" people who go to church on Sunday and have jobs like everyone else (I think every person in ministry has had this conversation at one time or another). He said yes- yes they could- but they wouldn't see so many miracles. They wouldn't see so many impossible doors open. That describes it well. But the door goes two directions, and you doors open and close a lot in ministry.
*
The public school (k to 4th grade) in Mussurepe is a mess. They do not have consistent funding (or even consistently paying the teachers), so most years, they will have a full day program for a couple months of the year, and then the promise of a full day program the rest of the year. The quality of teaching is way behind, and most of the boys drop out at 12 or 13 since they can't read well, they have to be bussed to school after 4th grade, and their parent need income now to provide for the family.
 (downtown Mussurepe...a church, a school, a health clinic, a soccer field, and a new playground with Wi-Fi...really?) 

We had a living stones program there in 2012 and it was amazing. The kids are so bright and eager and ready. In 2013 the public school had the full day program, so the kids were busy and learning- and we were excited for them. But it didn't last long. By the time it stopped it was too late for Living Stones to start up again. Same thing in 2014 and 2015. And now, in 2016, they are only doing morning classes, squishing the kids into overcrowded classrooms.

It is ripe and ready and needing ministry. But the workers are few. Grandma Isabel is just that: a grandma that is going to visit her grand kids in Italy until July. And we are Americans who assist, but don't lead new projects (this is a learned lesson).

But my heart aches for Mussurepe  and not going back until July. We were able to go before Easter to share the story and then games and mothers prayer meeting. Over 30 kids showed up (to my 12 plastic egg Easter egg hunt) and were so hungry to learn. I sat next to a mom who couldn't read, but I still shared my bible with her anyway, and she still looked at it anyway.
(egg hunt)

I will miss those ladies and those kids and those men in the community who refuse to come to anything we do...I will miss Mussurepe and hope that the door swings open again to work and live and love these amazing people in my forgotten little town.

(pictures by John Winzeler)

No comments:

Post a Comment