Tuesday, June 14, 2016

In a Gay Club

I opened up social media to see "50 people shot," and I was shocked and saddened.

I read further to, "In a gay bar" and I held my breath.


And here I need to apologize. Because I didn't hold my breath because I was hurt: I held my breath because I was hoping that the shooter wasn't someone calling themselves a Christian.

I let out my breath when I read it was connected to Islam and/or ISIS.

I apologize because somewhere along the line, I became more worried about people's disapproval and disgust than about the lives of people.

What kind of pause would I have had if the headlines instead read, "In a church?" or "50 Missionaries" ?

I apologize. I stop, weep, ache and stand in support with those killed, wounded, and hurting.#PrayforOrlando

Just because I do not agree with, or support someone's choices does not mean I stop loving them, supporting them, or valuing their lives any less. If this were true, then I would hate to step out the door because I make wrong choices too.

President Obama made a speech about "Attacks on any American- regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation is an attack on us all."

As a Christian, I take out the word "American" and put in "human." Because God so loved the world.

And here I must apologize once again.

Because I have not mourned with the ISIS fighters who have died, with those considered our enemies.

There is never a time to pause and put my own agenda forward over hurting and dying people.

This is a radical and controversial statement. Good. Then it must be getting close to the real deal of following Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment