Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What are you selling?

I have come to find that I enjoy...or at least appreciate the world of marketing. I read books about leadership in business and non-profits and realize we are all in sales. Every person who has a dream (which is hopefully every person in the world) has something they want to share and they want others to see, because that is just how dreams work (at least at some point of a dream).
My dad always said that "Everyone is always selling something." And I used to think that was really pessimistic, but it seems to be true.
"Liking isn't Helping." 
Amazing how powerful a picture and three words can be. Wow. You might have seen this or something like it: 
But to tell the truth, it never really hit home. Most of the time I whisper something to myself of "Really? Where are they getting that statistic? Then in Brazil it must be 3 in 5 or something..." UNTIL I saw the billboard that read: 

1 of 6 Americans are hungry5 of 6 can help


Genius. I love it. And as with most ideas, I am jealous that I didn't come up with it first, and hope that I can change it just enough to be call creative. Art theft rules:).

Speaking about art, I just finished reading a book by Emily P. Freeman called "A Million Little Ways." Here are your highlights:
"Our gifts are not from God to us, but from God through us to the world." --Janice Elsheimer
"Our lives are at once ordinary and mythical. We live and die, age beautiful or full of wrinkles. We wake in the morning, buy yellow cheese, and hope we have enough money to pay for it. At the same instant we have these magnificent hearts that pump through all sorrow and all winters we are alive on the earth. We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded." -Natalie Goldberg
"If God is speaking, then nothing else matters but listening." -Brennan Manning
"From more to less. Served to service. From honor to degradation. From eternal to time-bound. Heaven to earth. Is it possible that the descending way of Jesus might be God's way for me? I am thankful for the Josephs who govern from Pharaoh's side for the good of the masses, for the Esthers who influence the influencers and change the trajectory of history.
But where are those people called by God to step down, leave behind, earn less, influence fewer, to follow? Does God only call His Son to downward mobility? Or does God call me downward too and i fail to recognize His voice because it sounds too backward?" --Shawn Groves (http://shaungroves.com/2012/05/downward-mobility)
"For every brave yes, there is often a no that comes right along with it. To say no could be just as artful a response as saying yes ever was. We have to be confident in our decisions that a narrowed eye from a parent doesn't sway us, that pressure from a church leader doesn't force our hand, and a harsh but well-intended word from a relative doesn't derail our priorities. Don't let the easily offended critic set the agenda. Believe in your yes. Hold fast to your no. People may look up to you, want to be with you, but they will not say no for you. They will let you lead and be strong and move ahead if you want to. Only you know your boundaries. Yes can be brave, but it can also be bossy. it can become an addiction. Before you realize it, all of your yeses are to obligations and duty and you are forced to look passion and intention and desire in the eye and say, NO, I don't have time for you. You may have to search for your brave yes, but you will have to fight for your strong no." --Emily Freeman

What am I selling? A close friend wrote me while I was job hunting and said that I was a valuable worker, and shouldn't settle for anything less than 12-15$ an hour. And I was offered that job. But I had already accepted another. That is definitely NOT 12-15$ an hour. It is less. Much. But I love it.
I work with two women who are mentally/physically challenged. I am their friend, companion, helper, and smile for the day. And they bless me more than you could imagine.
It isn't paying much. I am not using any of the talents I have worked hard for. I am doing the same thing as I did when I was 13 and asked to baby-sit. It isn't a career job. But I am happy. I am stress free. I feel good about what I am doing. And when I thought about it, I realized why I turned down that salary job--because I already have a job/career/passion: Living Stones.
And yeah, I told Caid it wouldn't be something that took up my time--oh, maybe 10 hours a month (try a week!). And he knew the truth, it just took me a little longer to get it. I might not be in Brazil anymore, but part of me will always be. And I am so glad to be able to continue working with it--and Caid joining me! So I won't be making a lot of money, and I am really hoping that verse about "Lay up your treasure in Heaven and all the rest will fall into place" (my paraphrase) works. And that the student loans...well...sheesh.
I am selling the idea that we can make a difference. That "liking isn't helping," but I will give you a link that you can put your money where your like-button-finger is. I am selling the idea that people in their own communities can change their communities, and those of us with resources can help them. I am selling the idea that churches are God's idea and they can do so much more to reach those on God's heart. I am selling the idea that we are the 5 out of 6 who can help. I am selling the pain I feel when I see my kids suffering in the trash dump. I am selling the joy of reading with child who has never owned a book before. I am selling hope that God really does see you, no matter what country you are from and how much money you make.
I am trying to "Believe in your yes. Hold fast to your no."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is perfect Rachel. The world need to look the reality. This is beautiful text (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I'm so happy in read this! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete