Friday, February 21, 2014

10 Things I learned from my First Wedding

Since wedding #2 is next month (with #3 to follow a week later), I feel like I should write down what I am learning about putting on a wedding. And yes, they are all to the same man.
 (color us!) 


1. Figure out (together) what the main point of the wedding is. For us, it was celebrating with the people we loved--and since we loved people in Brazil, Indiana, and Connecticut, it made more sense for us to go to them than have them come to us (we are more mobile).

2. Start a wedding Pinterest board. I spent random times clicking on things that caught my eye--so by the time it was wedding time, I already had a pretty clear picture of what I wanted. Pinterest is great for that, so you don't have to remember all those good ideas--it is pinned for later. Besides, looking through BRIDE magazines really only helps you with the dress, which is just one detail of the wedding.

3. Once you have your goal for the wedding, you can talk money and who you want at the wedding--that will narrow down things so you can pick a date and location.

4. Once you have the date and location, you can pick your theme (Pinterest!). From there, your dress, colors, and flowers come easily, and you can do invites and wedding programs.

5. There are TONS of free ideas/templates online for invites and wedding programs (Pinterest as well). I really enjoyed making a coloring book program of our own pictures with http://ipiccy.com. Best idea? Steal and copy other people's genius.

6. Choose wisely--each extra thing (centerpieces, decor, bubbles, music, popcorn machine, food...) you add to your wedding takes time and someone in charge of running it at the wedding (oh family...). Or you end up like me--trying to find the cotton candy sugar in my wedding dress.

7. There is a reason why you have a dress rehearsal (I didn't have one in Brazil).

8. A wedding is a big deal, but in the end, it is just a big party. Plan well and then have fun.

9. Make sure to have people who love you there--because they will make sure that everything ends up turning out well.

10. Shop around. Look online. There is always something cheaper or online. Hobby Lobby/Michaels have regular 40% off coupons every week--so buy one thing every week. Sam's Club is the cheapest place for plastic ware, hands down. Oriental Trading Company is cheapest for most everything else unless you make it yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment