Monday, November 12, 2018

Sunday Funday November

No vlog this week, as I posted 7 videos last week:). Feel free to go back and watch one of them.

It was a really important week for us last week as we met (and were encouraged) with some different leaders in Brazil. While we don't have our suitcases packed yet, there are a lot of physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual things to make sure are in place as we leave for six months.
This year has also hit a lot of significant dates: 25 years of World Renewal Brazil, 20 years of Living Stones, 15 years that I've (Rachel) been serving in Brazil, 8 years of Cajueiro Claro church, and 5 years that Caid has been serving with World Renewal. We've been "on the field" for 4 years now, and it is a milestone and a time for review and reflection. November 9th was also our 5th wedding anniversary! Some people buy extra rings to go with their wedding ring. This is what we do:
Reads from the Interwebs:
1. I'm a US Citizen living in Honduras. Here is what I think about the Caravan: To tell the truth, I haven't found anything else written about the Caravan that I have connected with. I would have liked to have had a more liberal perspective as well, but unfortunately, the only liberal ones I have found seem to link all immigrants (legal and illegal) as well as refugees together (which are three very different and complicated issues). In general, I take a liberal stand in the issue of immigration. I have had plenty of personal immigration problems myself. I have definite views about refugees and those seeking asylum (as does the Bible!), and am ashamed at how few we accept and how hard we make it on these people who have already been through hell. But I still feel a process is necessary. I am not for open boarders (although I can see myself, if having been born into a different situation, attempting to illegally cross because of circumstances). This article puts well some of the reasons for that. I also think that we should be giving more visas (and different kinds of visas) to more people who do go the legal way of migrating (like myself), but this caravan is none of that. It makes my heart hurt that there are so many people in need (I am currently working with some of them every day), but I do not think bypassing our laws and processes is the answer (fixing the laws and actually dealing with the many, many problems they have--YES, please).  I am surprised at how hard it is for me to say this: it would be so much easier to just say "Yes, let them all in," but the solution is not so simple, and there are many long reaching implications. My prayers are with those in the caravan, and with people like the woman who wrote this article, who I feel are doing real, needed work.
2. Following Jesus into a political no-man's land: Yes, Caid and I voted by absentee ballot:) (Mom, I know you were wondering)
3. Mass Shootings and...: Another one come and gone and I just needed a minute to stop and grieve.
4. Spaghetti, Applesauce, and another Goodbye: I feel like I waited until I read this to grieve my great aunt's passing. Grief is a weird looking thing when so far away from home (If you don't know, the author's grandmother was my great aunt--we are second cousins? Or something like that).
5. Saying "God called me" can be dangerous: and a really big responsibility. And YES.
6. Coming back from Narnia: what re-entry feels like: This is happening in like three weeks.
7. Wise Generosity: If giving shoe boxes isn't the best idea, what is? I love her points, and would like to say that Living Stones meets all five of her points:). Just sayin.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there you two, happy anniversaries! (all those you listed) - WOW. Hard to believe the years have flown as they have! Loved reading each article you posted up there - so much MEAT! And what am I supposed to do with those two shoeboxes my granddaughters and I packed? Or the remaining 10 plastic boxes I purchased from OCC for the next 5 years?! Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete