Sunday, July 14, 2013

Playing God

 (Alexandria is on the right end)

me: When is your birthday, Alexandria?
A: I don't know
me: Ok then. Does anyone know?
A: No. (her mother was a prostitute in one town, her father a drunk in another. She'd been abandoned and raised herself. I don't know if she even has a birth certificate. And if she does, no one knows where it is)
me: Ok then. When do you want to have a birthday?
A: I don't know
me: Well, what is a month you like? Because I want to celebrate your birthday.
A: I don't know (looking down)
me: Alexandra, have you every celebrated your birthday?
A: No (shuffle, shuffle)
me: Well, this year we are changing that. We are going to celebrate. What month?
A: September?
me: Great! What day? What is a number you like? 15? 22?
A: 20 (finally, a smile)
me: Well, Alexandra, your birthday is now on September 20th. I will come celebrate it with you!
*
Who gave me this kind of power, to make a birthday? I feel like I am playing God. Alexandra really doesn't know how old she is either: she will tell people anywhere from 17-19. Old records from Living Stones say 1996, so that is what we will go with.

I found this, from an old paper I wrote: "It is moments like that that remind me why I am here. To bless people who would not have been blessed otherwise. To celebrate God and how He loves us in places that have forgotten, or in people who did not know. To sing Happy Birthday to someone who would not have been remembered otherwise.
Maybe it isn't changing the world to carry around a green bag with a birthday cake, knife, napkins, birthday glasses, and presents. But to me it is. To her it is. It changes her world. It means people care about her--from all over the world. It means she is worth celebrating. It means someone sees her. It means someone loves her, love that says "God made you and you are special. He has a plan for you, and it something beautiful. And right now, He is celebrating your birthday too, because you are worth celebrating and remembering."  "

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to help with birthday celebrations like this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete