Thursday, July 25, 2019

Sunday Funday Thursday

I realize that today is Thursday, not Sunday. The idea is that I finish a weekly vlog sometime during the week, and that I read through my uplifting blogs/readings on Sunday. That happens most of the time. But to pull it all together to post...that often takes longer. So there you have it: Sunday Funday on Thursday.

Our weekly vlog:

We meant to take it easy last week, but that didn't really happen. We were so blessed to see our good friends, the Soares family, go with friends to see Toy Story 4 (we have a movie theater in our town now!!! Makes it so much easier!), enjoy family time (read: eat ice cream together), while Caid helped out at a day camp ministry week and I planned for the fall semester. With 16 classes a week at the International school, and 4 weekly classes at Living Stones, it is a lot of planning.
(Yep, Rebekah is taller than me now)

Reads from the Interwebs:
1. About where we are all from: "“Who let a child like this into this country?”
I looked that doctor right back in the eye:
“Love let her in.”
2. Dear American Church: "You want, so sincerely, to be a healing force in the world. And so, I’m sorry. For how I’ve judged. And thank you, for loving me. There is so much wrong with just about everything. And there is so much hope in just about everything."
3. From the other side of the trip: "Sitting on this side of well-thought out and prepared for short-term trips, I am reminded how God’s math is not my math. The extra hours these trips cost you? The foolish questions the participants ask? The food they won’t eat? It is worth it. I have to admit, that I did not expect for Elizabeth, David, and Grace to come away with such tidy lessons for me (for us) related to culture, the life of a missionary, or team. Sounds almost too neat, doesn’t it? But God in his mercy may have the lessons so clear and “simple” as if to highlight that His ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts. This letter is merely to give you a glimpse of the parts of a summer trip you might not see."
4. When Missionaries return broken: "There is a missing piece in that go-send picture, because the one who goes out will eventually come back. How will they be welcomed back? What kind of support systems are in place? Who will be the “receiver” of the returned missionary?"

No comments:

Post a Comment