Thursday, July 18, 2019

Sunday Funday July

Our weekly vlog:

We have been resting (just a little) after three weeks of Short Term Mission Trips (STMTs), and Caid putting in 200 hours the last two weeks. Unfortunately, the girls don't understand how to sleep in later than 5:30 (maybe 6), so not really much rest. Last week with Shelbyville community church was incredible, and you will be seeing lots of pictures and video from it over the next while, but here were some of my favorite:

Reads from the Interwebs:
1. Dipping your toes: something I wrote to explain some things between STMT, LTMT, and Missionary life.
2. 10 Lessons learned about rest, work, and myself: "I once heard someone say, “The people who go the distance are the people that can pull themselves from the game and sit on the sidelines-regularly.” I think this is the most profound reminder I received over the past month. My work isn’t really mine. I’m following Jesus wherever He leads and one day He will lead me away from Mercy House. It will go on because it belongs to Him."
3. Facing shame and finding our way: "As our time came to a close, she leaned forward. “Young man, can I ask you what you do to help the poor?”
Her question wasn’t accusative, demanding, or condescending. It was just a question. But to me it felt laced with expectation. If I lied to Mother Teresa, I was surely putting my life in jeopardy. So I told the truth. I glanced away and said, “I’m really not doing anything.”
She could have condemned me, chastised me, or struck me with a lightsaber and I wouldn’t have blamed her. Instead, she smiled and said, “Everyone can do something.”
4. White Evangelicals least likely to say the US has responsibility to accept refugees: This kills me! Because many (read--most) social justice issues I feel that the church has a responsibility to do more than the government--we should be taking care of our communities, our neighbors, and our enemies as well--but this is concerning public policy that is making decisions to not allow us to care for people. Precautions--yes, rules--yes: but this? NO. As someone who has had years of visa problems getting into a country--it is important.
5. Newsletter code words: so true!
"Code: Visa application process
Meaning: We’ve quit our jobs, given away our belongings, raised support, and are ready to go, but if this paperwork is denied all our plans are totally stuffed.
Code: Health issues
Meaning: This mainly means diarrhea."
6. In-flightisms: love it! "Cartnering: This is the act of hovering next to the food cart as it’s making its way down the aisle. Timing a trip to the bathroom with the distribution of meals is truly an art form, and it is best done passive-aggressively (such as by wearing a smile while dancing from one foot to the other)."

No comments:

Post a Comment