Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Two Weeks Sunday Funday

Our weekly vlog:
And we also did our first YouTube live, answering some questions we had been given:) It is NOT 5 minutes or less:

Two weeks guys. Two.

I always step into high gear two weeks before a big transition- finalizing and realistically cutting down my to-do list, trying to think of all the last minute stuff so it doesn’t catch me by surprise (but some things always do). Even my appetite changes.

We have done a good job with hitting all our main goals and living life well for this home assignment. We are excited and ready to return to Brazil.

But what they don’t tell you is that the better you do something- the more you open your heart- the greater the connections and love and vulnerability: the harder it is to leave.

My hardest goodbyes (from Brazil and the USA) are always after the sweetest times.

Not all goodbyes are hard. Sometimes you just know it is time. Sometimes God blesses with this unexpected peace about everything. But just because a goodbye is hard doesn’t mean it is bad. In fact, you could say that most hard goodbyes are because the time together was so good.

And so it is because right now is so good: squishing in time with friends and family and learning and growth...that it makes goodbyes harder.

Thank you for the hard goodbyes. 

Reads from the Interwebs: 
1. After Jim Elliot: I think it is so important to look back and realize anyone (ANYONE) that we have put up on a pedestal shouldn't be there--and if we can't find any faults, or think they are practically perfect, something is missing. And most of them would tell you the same thing (the ones that don't...watch out for them). I mean, just look at the Bible: lots of messed up people. The only one I can think of that wasn't was Daniel, and it makes me wonder sometime. He just seems too perfect sometimes. I know that I personally put way too many missionaries on a pedestal, and that just wasn't healthy. I think we should read--and hope my daughters will--about past missionaries and what God did through them, but I hope they are honest, open looks at all aspects of missionary life. 
2. The true Purpose of Home Assignment: almost done with ours!
3. On World Earth Day: so I missed that it was Earth day last week, but I have been increasingly convicted about how I treat nature and use resources the past couple of years: and I think it is a godly conviction as well as a practical one. I am not talking about feeling all guilty about global warming, I am talking about having a healthy perspective that God created the world, and it is a gift to be used wisely and carefully, not just for my convenience and gain. Unfortunately, I have seen many Christians take a stance that current American consumerism/packaging/way of life isn't something they need to look into and seek the Lord about, but that it is just something made up by the media. God help us all. 
4. Enneagram type and Anger: these articles always get me. And so far, they have always been right.
5. A distant look Back at Missions, part 2: Why (in the past) have missionaries left? So interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment