Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Sunday Funday February

Our weekly vlog:
Last we we worked on all the paperwork/documentation stuff that drives you crazy for Jessica's American birth abroad certificate/Passport, and our Brazilian driver's licences. The first one is accomplished, the second...well, we put a dent in it. We also got to meet with the Living Stones leaders, and map out the coming semester--so exciting! Caid is going to be doing Living Stones in the mornings, while the girls and I nap and get ready for the day, and I am teaching at the International School and Living Stones in the afternoons (Ana is going to school three afternoons a week with me, while Dad gets Jessica time).

All this, of course, AFTER Carnaval. The evening music-blasting parties have already started (they get longer, later, and louder as we get closer to actual Carnaval, which is February 10-13. Please keep Brazil, and especially our Living Stones kids in your prayers, as violence, drugs, drinking, abuse, and car accidents goes WAY up during this time of and around Carnaval.

Reads from the Interwebs:
1. Why every girl and her dreams count: I do believe that there are some injustices and inequalities in the USA towards women, but I have been blessed with a community of men who have always treated me as an equal. But let's talk about the REST of the world, and I will grab my feminist views to fight! Come on--let's let these girls make a difference in the world!
2. How a 40 year old Camel changed my life: love this question: "If you are a global person, how did you get that way?"
3. Passing the Swamp: such a positive spin on swamp-ness.
4. My Obsession: Chai tea: someday I want to try and make my own chai tea!
5. Naming your grief and finding an answer: so basically anything I read these days about grief I highlight. It is such an important concept.
6. So you want to cross oceans and cultures: are you ready? I love checklists! Yes, please!
7. A super long title I won't copy: seriously, this boys homemade guitar grabbed my heart.
8. Class-passing: how do you learn the rules of being rich? a super interesting look as some people who have changed "classes." This is something I am super interested in. Favorite quote: "One of the most valuable (and least studied) aspects of growing up with economic privilege, I’ve observed, is the sense of entitlement and the confidence it gives you. “Almost unreasonable confidence,” Tighe notes. “The confidence that comes from the achievement of others. Your parents are successful and you think that’s you.”"

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment