Monday, December 8, 2014

Sequence of Not Believing

It starts with a doubt: overhearing the older kid say there is no Santa. You turn away, but the doubt clings, just a little. Then it turns into a question--a question that becomes real when you voice it. Then begins your fact finding: conversations, books, internet, hearsay...Who knows what sources can be trusted? And then comes some kind of conclusion. It might be an answer to your question. Maybe you just settle for a vague idea.
We are a generation of skeptics. It is cool to question: it is mandatory to question. Innocence is labeled laziness: you must do your duty to become cynical. If you can't BE the next big thing, you had better be mocking it.
I've been told I see sunshine and rainbows too much because I ignore the clouds and rain. I believe we have much more power than that: I believe I can stand in the clouds and rain and remember the sunshine and rainbows--and CHOOSE the sunshine and rainbows. And I don't think this makes me weak: I believe it is one of my strengths.
*
Bill Cosby: from classic to trash it in seconds. Doubt in my head. I asked my husband, "Do you think he did it? that that's the kind of person he was the whole time?" I recently read a beautiful blog by Ann Voskamp about when she had seen abuse happen and was just shrugged off here. The statistics of rape allegations around the world actually being prosecuted are so low--what is wrong with us? Why would I doubt these women? But then again...I am a woman. And I know our tools of manipulation...

While I was wondering about Cosby's character, my husband was thinking different thoughts, "My mother warned me my whole life about women like that." Do I stand with women simply because they are women? Do I just want Cosby to be the Cosby I always thought he was? I don't know. I don't know if I will ever know the true facts. It just touches on so many important issues:
* The low rate of prosecuted rape allegations
* Who do I trust, really?
* How do you know when someone is lying?
* What makes it a "Big Enough Issue" to really care about?

No comments:

Post a Comment