Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Supercamp 2014

It always feels good when what you learn only confirms what you've already been learning. I spent 31 years learning to live an intentional single life. And I got pretty good at it. And then I got married and some of that learning had to change. There are some deep differences about sharing your life with someone else, and I have been working toward intentionality in building a beautiful life together.
Supercamp is also about being intentional: about knowing yourself/your craft so well that you can make every word/teaching intentional and powerful. It helps you be aware of every movement, inflection, every choice of word and order. But the purpose of this knowledge and awareness isn't to become the best--it is to be able to reach the listener, and to be able to spark something inside of them, being fully present.
Training (this one was called "Know It By Heart") always pushes me out of my comfort zone, and I never remember to enjoy that until afterwards. Camp, with the kids, is my zone: but training, with peers, is red zone. I haven't been pushed in awhile, because good "pushing" is also an art form. Supercamp does this through feedback.
The kind of feedback Supercamp gives has been honed into an exponential growth skill, helping you focus in on small aspects of how you teach/facilitate/present and make them better. As I was being coached through this, I jotted down these thoughts:
"Those who are great at what they do nit pick their craft (in practice) so each piece is perfect for the picture to be seen as a whole (in rehearsal), to be present and purposeful for that one listener (in presentation)." Being intentional is such hard work.
When I first started working for Supercamp in 2010, they asked me WHY I wanted to work for them. As I spoke the words, I realized they were true: "Because I work with kids that often times won't get any other chance to hear the words they need to hear, and I might only get one chance to say them. And you can teach me how to do that the best and most powerful way possible."
So excited to facilitate at the University of South Florida this summer...with these amazing people:



No comments:

Post a Comment