Friday, May 30, 2014

Forgotten Phones and Good Ideas

I thought I dropped my cell phone into my bag before I left yesterday morning. Around lunch time, I'd searched well enough (you can lose your soul in that bag) to realize I didn't have my phone. And I didn't have time to run home and get it.
Worry, worry, wonder, worry. "Will an emergency happen?" "What if something happens with work and something is cancelled?" "What if someone needs to get a hold of me?" "What time is it anyways?" (Because I use my phone as a clock as well).
And to think, until 2007, that was how I lived my life. Without a phone. How have I become so conditioned? Why does everyone have to be able to reach me at all times? Yes, it is nice. It helps plans go off smoother. And yes, I am addicted to the added measure of control it brings to my life. Good gracious.
Since I didn't have a phone, and I did have books, I spent more time reading. I randomly found a book at the library and cracked it open. It was called "10 Days Without" by Daniel Day. He grasped on to the idea of going without something to raise awareness and focus on a specific need. So he went 10 days without shoes for those who have none. Another 10 without furniture (no bed) for poverty. No speech for modern slavery. No waste for the environment. No legs for those who are disabled.
I love this! I've done my share of "No ______ for ______" just to try it out (just rice and beans for a month, living in poverty for a month, fasting Ramadan for a month, living on $2 a day for a month...) and I a challenge/new project. Next Saturday is the Trek for Transportation--I want to do something more--No shoes for a week (it was that or no vehicle--but I still have to work, and need to transport my clients around all week. They might not like my bicycle).
No shoes to represent my brothers and sisters who often don't have shoes and their feet are their only/main source of transportation. No shoes to begin conversations about what it is like and why I am being crazy. No shoes for a constant reminder to me of something I want to focus on more--while I am in the USA. It is easy to forget.
And I am already starting to count the costs...no jogging next week--ouch! I hope they let me in the gym. Going to a friend's house should be fine--they will understand. Church? well, I am talking about the Trek and teaching Sunday school, so the kids will enjoy it. Work? Everyone else has their interesting quirks...
Truth is, I don't like thinking about Brazil all the time. Because it hurts. Because I miss it. Because I wish I was there. And being here is wonderful and I love it, but it is hard to constantly drag up knowing I am not there. And that is my job--my self-imposed, non-paying job--to represent Living Stones and Brazil to others. I can't live with or without it. It is an interesting road to walk. Barefoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment