Sunday, March 2, 2014

Commissioning

This snowy Sunday morning Caid and I were commissioned as missionaries by World Renewal International and our church, Horizon Central.
(Steve Turner, Gary Wright, and Dave Kosobucki) 
The whole thing was such a blessing and meaningful, as I sniffed tears at all God has been doing and will do in our lives. And then, at the end, Gary Wright was pleased to announce that a donor had given a sizeable amount to us as missionaries--we were, and are, overwhelmed. God can do whatever He wants, whenever. It will provide for many new opportunities.
(Jeff and Lindsay Turner, who are on furlough from Brazil)
We thank everyone who has been a part of our journey to this point--what a great adventure. Caid and I wrote out our experiences and callings while prayerfully contemplating and preparing for this commissioning. 
Caid and Rachel Ferguson's Story
I (Rachel) was raised in a Christian family.  At age 8, I would call a number to hear a Bible story (through Child Evangelism Fellowship). At the end, they offered to tell you more about Jesus at another number, but I couldn’t write fast enough. I told my mom, “I want to be saved, but I don’t know the number!”
I (Caid) was born in Jamaica, and my father died before I turned one. My mother worked hard and was able to bring me to America when I was six. With my mother working two jobs, my sisters helped raise me. Mr. Maitland, a relative, picked me up for church every Sunday. One time on the ride home, I fell asleep, and he returned to church with me still tucked in the back. He kindly took me home in his car, without being upset. There on the radio, it shared the gospel once more, and this time, I bowed my head and gave my life to Jesus.
My (Rachel) parents sat me down on the couch and explained that Jesus, who was God, came to earth and lived a perfect life and then died, taking and paying for all my sins (Romans 3:23), and then rose from the dead (1 Cor. 15: 3-4). I am saved by grace (Eph. 2:8) through faith in Jesus Christ (Gal. 2:20).
I (Caid) felt God’s calling at the same time that I was saved: to use my life to serve Jesus however He would have me. I consider that to be my calling to ministry, and have known that I would follow Jesus wherever He leads. Throughout grade, middle, and high school, I went to public school and worked hard to be a light to my friends. I invited them to church and was known as “preacher man.”
My (Rachel) life has been a journey of getting to know Jesus personally. I was baptized when I was 8, and rededicated my life to God at summer camp at age 11. I started teaching Sunday school with my mother when I was 12, but it was when I was 14 and working at an inner city VBS that I really realized that I could make a difference, and that a difference needed to be made. My calling to work with children came naturally; as it was something I loved and was good at.
During college, I (Caid) ministered in junior church, leading the music and teaching. I also worked part time as a Gymnastics coach. Through these things, and living with my young nieces and nephews, I felt called to minister to children and show them how to know Jesus just as someone showed me. When I went to Brazil, I taught music at a school and basketball to impoverished children. All of these experiences showed me that I want to teach children in a multicultural setting.
When I (Rachel) graduated, I lived a year at a juvenile home, and knew that I had been given so much because God was preparing me to give to those who didn’t have. I then worked at a youth center for 6 years. At age 16, I went on a mission’s trip to Brazil with our church youth group. I enjoyed my time there, but it wasn’t until I returned home that I realized I had changed—Brazil refused to leave my head and my heart. At a fall conference, during a time of prayer and repentance, I excused myself to cry in the bathroom and clearly heard God impressing the words upon me, “Brazil is yours.”
While at college, I (Caid) realized that I had a talent for languages and took every opportunity to learn more Spanish. God impressed upon me the desire to teach and preach in Spanish, and gave me a love for the Hispanic people. I am Jamaican, black, and speak English and Spanish. My wife is American, white, and speaks English and Portuguese. We are both active and artistic, and love sports, music, and the arts. I am excited to see what God has for us together.
I (Rachel) have been serving God in Brazil since 2004, teaching English and working with impoverished children. The ministry in Brazil is focused on church planting, and after working within ministries all my life, I saw clearly that God has chosen to do His work through the local church, and I was captivated by the simple idea of Living Stones: helping churches start a ministry to the neediest children in their community. I still work with children, and feel that calling, but now I am seeing the multiplication factor of training others to reach even more.
Currently, I (Caid) am finishing my degree in Urban Leadership at Crossroads Bible College, and getting training/practice teaching through my local church and an academic program called Supercamp. We are also looking into getting ESL certified, to be fully prepared for wherever God calls us. My wife and I are Co-coordinating Living Stones, raising awareness and funds for the children in Brazil, and have plans to lead a mission’s trip to Brazil in October. I am called to serve churches and children all over the Americas to enable them to minister and share Jesus in their community/abroad.
Caid has broadened my (Rachel) vision from Brazil to all of Latin America, and I am enjoying being close to my family for some time while working with local churches in the USA to help their children get involved with helping children abroad. I feel that I am called to serve churches and children all over the Americas to enable them to minister to the neediest children in their community/abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment