Monday, September 16, 2013

Health

I work hard to take care of my health before I get sick. Because I hate being sick. I fear getting sick. Sick means getting behind, missing out, and not completing your responsibilities. And it is something you can't control.
Ha (God laughs).
I started turning black a couple days before Caid came to Brazil. We weren't sure if it was a rash, burn, or some kind of reaction to something...little bubbles popped up on my skin and it alternated between red and brown and itching and not and every day I'd try to assess if it was growing or not...
And then came this zit-like thing on the side of my foot. It kept growing, and people wondered if it was staf infection (that grows into a huge boil/crater). Whatever it was, it wasn't healing. It just oozed puss constantly. 
After living in Brazil since 2004, I went to the doctor for the first time. And they told me I was fine, which made me happy. And they didn't charge me, because their daughters were my English students, which made me very happy. 
The foot zit thing finally stopped oozing and started healing after a couple weeks. It scared me more than I thought. I've always gone to the dump, to rural places, to dirty places and gotten in the dirt and mud with the kids without thinking twice about it. This time, some random something got under my skin and created a wound that wouldn't heal, and I didn't know why. It was a wake-up call to know that I can't control things--and WOW has God protected me over and over from unknown parasites and scary things that I come into contact with--that my children at the dump have to live in. 
The hand rash thing turned out to be a burn caused either from lemon (I squeeze it in my tea and then go out in the sun), tie-dye dye (forgot gloves), or a mixture of the two as well as long exposure to the sun while playing with the kids. I have a cream for it, and the new skin will eventually take over and return my hand to its original color. Healing would probably go faster if I wore gloves, but REALLY?  Funny--for awhile, my hands were the same color as Caid's legs. You know what they say about couples starting to look alike...
So don't worry (Mom, because I know you are reading this), I am fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment