Monday, April 23, 2018

April Showers Sunday Funday

Our weekly vlog is unapologetically grandma fodder:

I also made Language videos about verbs and irregular verbs, but you probably are not interested :). A public school asked if they could bring their students on a field trip to the International school to have an English class by a native English speaker, so I am preparing a two hour lesson for 45 11-13 year olds (yikes!). I wanted to have additional resources for them, so am finally getting around to some beginning English classes on our YouTube channel. Say a prayer for this great (and challenging) opportunity coming up May 15th! 
BIG NEWS! Caid has passed the last of all the (3) tests for getting his driver's licence in Brazil (as well as all the translating documents and other hoops we had to jump through)! I will be working on getting mine soon as well. We had a nice week (everyone healthy!) where Ana Sofia got her first Minnie Mouse temporary tattoo, Jessica got to try mushed bananas (she has this fruit sucker thing), and I had time to work on my "Creative projects" (anything that I enjoy doing that isn't priority when there are two littles). 
On Tuesday, we had a Skype baby shower for Jessica (our friends and family had wanted to bless us with one before, but we had no way to get presents down to Brazil until we knew my sister and goddaughter were coming!), and it was such a blessing to be there...internet-ly...as they prayed for us and rocked out the home missionary support system! It made us feel so loved and connected. 

Reads from the Interwebs:
1. Research results about missionary attrition: super important for those of us in missions: why are most people leaving? The short answer has always been "Not being able to get along with other missionaries," which has always saddened me and made me a bit disgusted with missions. But this survey says the top five reasons are: "lack of missionary care, lack of integrity on the team, lack of freedom to pursue calling, team conflict, and confusion over role on the team." which makes much more sense and is very understandable--and gives us many more tools in fighting missionary attrition. 
2. Parents, call out the beauty: wondering why your kid doesn't like (insert many things)? Maybe check your own response to it. 
3. "Be kind, loving, and don't get bitter:" I was all like "awwww-what an amazing dad!" and then I realized/remembered what a great dad my kids have and I thought "We are gonna make a video like that someday!"
4. State of the World: hum. So after the whole "Failed Missionary" thing I wanted to look into the whole "$53 Billion spent on missions" thing. These kind of videos always got me fired up when I was younger. Now I am wondering where they got their facts and where exactly I fit in these figures. What all are they calling missions in group C? Am I in group C?  Where are these 2 billion people in group A? Am I in group B? What are the requirements for group A? An interesting video to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment