Friday, April 24, 2015

Jeito Brasileiro

Little by little I am cleaning out the storage room at Cajueiro Claro. After the first 3 hours, Mercia (Pastor Flavio's wife) said "Oh, do look out for the rats." This was not as unnerving as during the second 3 hours, one of the mothers poked her head in the room and said, "Be careful of the scorpions!"

We have definitely found my strengths and Caid's strengths, and so he helps Flavio sing and dance and do sports with the kids while I organize things with some of the older girls. I was so proud of him yesterday as Flavio had to leave early and handed Caid some coloring papers and said goodbye. His face only betrayed mild panic for a couple seconds before he took over nine lil kids (and I kept organizing). I am continually impressed with Caid's ability to adapt and jump into things--it took me A LONG TIME (weeks, months...) to do many of the things he is already doing.

Speaking of Caid, please do pray for him. We think he had some mild heatstroke earlier this week--he kept saying he was cold while his skin felt very hot. He was weak and dizzy, so we took things easy (luckily, Tuesday was a holiday), and he has had heat rash since Wednesday. He is drinking lots of water, taking cold showers, and staying out of the sun (ish) and feeling better now. Funny, the Jamaican is having issues with the heat while the pregnant lady is fine.

I don't know how much you know (here is one article about the most recent big scandal) about politics in Brazil, but Caid and I are learning a little bit more. In 1999 I first came to Brazil, and the dollar was 1 to 3. I felt rich with my $100USD spending money turned into $300Reis. It is back to being 1 to 3--but now I feel almost ashamed of my happiness--what makes things nice for our budget is costing all of my friends daily.

Karine (Tele's daughter) put it well, "Tira Dentes (the Brazilian holiday last Tuesday) was about revolting against the government taking one-fifth from the people--and the ironic thing is that today, the government is taking two-fifths!" People are seeing 8% inflation. Caid incredulously turned to her and asked, "How do you manage it--living here?"

"If there is a way of doing something in Brazil," Karine continued, "It becomes impossible. But something is impossible, we somehow find a way--'Jeito Brasileiro'--the Brazilian way." So for example--if there is a prescribed way to get something (like a Visa), it becomes difficult/impossible because of all the bureaucracy. But if it is something impossible, and no one knows how to do it, Brazilians are incredibly resourceful and normally manage it somehow:).
(A picture Caid took, walking around #nofilter)

All that to say that the politics and scandal and inflation and day-to-day struggles are getting worse for the people here (Northeast Brazil)--more than I have ever seen it before. The educational system is in shambles. In the past couple of years the government has wanted statistics to look better (previous statistics put public school graduation rates in rural areas around 28%). The main reason kids didn't graduate was because they didn't pass grades and would finally drop out after being embarrassingly old and still in 3rd or 4th grade.

Instead of improving teaching and funding and making sure schools were not overcrowded, they simply passed a law that teachers HAVE to pass 95% of their class each year. My friend, who is a 10th grade teacher, has 40-50 students in each class, many of whom cannot read--but they know he has to pass most of them--so most are on their cell phones or talking through class.

Please pray for Brazil, for the government, for the people. We have been received with open arms and so much love. Next week Caid (and I) start teaching English at the public school in Mussurepe and Living Stones Cajueiro Claro. Caid starts teaching choir at the International school (last week was auditions), and I start a new Bible study with the "girls" (Brazil support team women). I think I finally put up the last shelf on the wall, and the apartment is feeling like home. We are so grateful!
(Caid's vlog--great times with great people)

No comments:

Post a Comment