Thursday, December 20, 2018

Thursday Sunday Funday

Sunday Funday is a time I can relax, catch up on reading blogs and interesting articles, and sort out my thoughts. You know I am busy when I can't get to it until Thursday. But here it is:)
Our weekly (late) vlog:


So we have been in the USA over two weeks now, shown our Brazilian friend around, been to Nashville, Children's Museum, the Zoo, ice skating, lots of family dinners, family vacation at Clifty Falls, Sofia gettting really sick, and Jessica's 1st Birthday. We all have winter clothing, and most of our things (in different locations) have at least been organized. I call that a win! We are getting life organized and gearing up for Christmas and then heading to Connecticut for a month. We are so blessed. In the moments when I did have a chance to stop, think, pray, and be still, I wrote:

"It is so interesting, this "Coming back," this "Reporting of your life" (in 10 minutes or less). The more we talk to people, the better/easier it is to say: but more than that, it is as if the more we talk about it, the more real it becomes. In a way, we make up our own narrative. I am not saying we lie or stretch the truth, but we do choose (intentionally) how we present our lives. I can say "The past 1.5 years were challenging, and we overcame many difficulties" or I can say "The past 1.5 years sucked and I never want to relive that again." Same truth, different perspective. People don't (mostly) want to hear me sort it out, they just want to hear the outcomes.

No matter how much I prepare, I never really know what's going to come out of my mouth until it does. Once it does, I giggle internally at how succinct and easy it sounds: there was so much life lived in those few words! And truth has such a lovely ring to it. Once said, it comforts me. It affirms me. I have a lot of "oh now it makes sense" moments. It is gratifying. I really love coming back. It helps me to give worth to when I was gone. Coming back is hard and it's own kind of work, but it complements the other part. I can't do one (Brazil or home assignment) without the other. That interconnectedness unites me in a life that is very divided."


Reads from the Interwebs:
1. Tis the season of Incongruity
2. Gifts for future Missionaries 
3. Ark of the Covenant is where? I love reading things like this:)
4. Do it Scared
5. Homeness-Finding home in a mobile world

No comments:

Post a Comment