Friday, November 28, 2014

Limes and Naps

The baby is two inches, about this size of a lime, but resembling much more of a caterpillar. 

I finally understand what bothers me so much about being pregnant: I feel old. For the first time in my life. I look younger than I am. I have always acted younger as well--this is part of my personality. Even getting married I was thinking, "Are they really just going to let me do this? I am just a 31 year old little girl giving my life away!" 

But now I feel old. I can understand the baby taking all my energy. I can understand these weird burps and stuff that happen. I can even get used to the fact my stomach will never be the name: but I never thought it would require all my drive and creativity as well.

When I used to have PMS (one day a month), there would be three stages: Stage 1: Don't touch me, I just want to curl up in a ball and stair at the wall until I can finally fall asleep. Stage 2: I am tired and grumpy, and just want to read a book/watch a movie. Stage 3: beware I am not my cheerful self, but I am determined to get things done and go on with my life.

Most mornings I now live in Stage 1 and drag myself into Stage 3 sometime around lunch. Sometimes I get a few normal hours in there somewhere. Now, getting something done is a major victory instead of normal. And yes, I do cheer myself on. I really miss my creativity and drive: I truly value those qualities. Luckily, most of the time I am too tired to miss anything greatly.

Thanksgiving was simple and perfect. This is my second Thanksgiving married, but definitely the best--last year Caid had a 24 hour bug that meant all he ate was ginger ale, laying in bed. I tried to be the dutiful wife and stay with him most of the day. 

This Thanksgiving had Anna and Rowan spend the night, watching old videos on Thanksgiving eve (which should be a "thing"), waking up slow and going to watch "Big Hero 6," with $5 bills from Dad, coming home to food being everywhere and people everywhere and lovely godchildren and smash brothers. Then a glorious nap for way too long, visit to Starbucks, and more lazy togetherness. 

I did manage two hours of shopping in on Friday before succumbing to a nice nap. Is just such a nice thing in life to be thankful. 

In other news, some amazing friends of mine, Pastor Flavio and Mercia, are just looking too cute:)
They are due for their first baby girl in the middle of January.
Not only are they working on saving or a home (they currently live in a Sunday school classroom at the church in Cajueiro Claro), but they are hoping to have a natural birth--or at least the option to TRY to have a natural birth. 

For those of you who are mommas or have studied about this and are passionate about it, this is a cause that deserves your attention: in Brazil, well over 80% of births are c-section. Brazilian women have three basic options: 1. Go to the public hospital when you go into labor, where there are long lines, often no doctor, and rather unsure level of care given. (more information here) 2. Schedule a private doctor to do a c-section (minimum charge $1,000), or 3. Try to get one of the 6 doctors in Recife (pop. 4 million) who actually specialize in natural births (minimum charge $5,000). 

Mercia looked at many doctors and finally chose one, going for #2, the more affordable option. But the doctor informed her that she would schedule no later than Dec. 29, because she was going on vacation all of January (remember, Mercia isn't due until January 14th), and it would be a scheduled c-section--no other option (Read this for the whole story). 

If you would like to help out this amazing couple who has given their lives to serve children with Living Stones, then here is the link to do so. I am asking this as a friend, not as the coordinator of Living Stones. Unfortunately as I would like, we cannot give this opportunity to every mother in the ministry in Brazil (yet), and so we are just passing the word along a friends. Thank you for caring:). 





No comments:

Post a Comment