Wednesday, June 3, 2015

No Electricity


I am waiting for the cloud to pass to let some sunlight filter through the tiny window in our apartment. I cannot see well enough to finish reading my devotional without it. It is a long process, as many clouds come and go.
It is bright enough to see fine when the sun is shining, and hot enough that I do not want to light a candle, as we have no fans or other way to cool down. The electricity has been off all morning and we do not know why. More disturbing, we do not know for how long. These things happen . It is a third world country. And so you shrug it off and go on with life .
Or do you? With the next cloud cover, I put my Bible down on the bed impatiently. What frustrates me the most is how obvious it is that I cannot control anything . Most of the time I feel reasonably in control of things, reasonably secure, and reasonably sure that everything is going to be all right. But then something happens: someone dies. Someone does something unforgivable . Nature shows you it is still wild and untamed. The electricity goes out.
Yes, it is a little thing. It could have been worse. But it makes me stop and pause ( with every cloud) and wait . And pray. And tell God the silly little things on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment